As far back as 1934, Dr. Gudmunder Paulson combined a six-bed hospital and a private residence. It was known as the Paulson Hospital. It was a two-storey building 60 feet by 32 feet, with good appearance. Mrs. Paulson, a registered nurse, cared for the few patients who could be admitted.
In February 1937, at the request of Mgr. J. Guy, O.M.I., the Sisters of Providence accepted the charge of the hospital and bought the building for the sum of $4,500. On August 20, 1937 Sister Teresina, R.N., and Sister Denise Marguerite, R.N., arrived at High Prairie to make the necessary preparations for the opening of the hospital. A few days later, Sister Pierre Auguste arrived to help as cook. Dr. E. L. McIntyre and Dr. J.B. Wood were the High Prairie doctors.
Hospital services were expanded into the residence part of the building. The first patient was admitted in September although it wasn’t opened officially until October.
Even before the opening came, more space was needed. A drive for funds was started in the district and the next year a wing was added. Furnishings for the new wing flooded in from all parts of the area. The newly formed High Prairie Elks Club adopted the furnishings of a private room as their first project.
Once again, the hospital was quickly crowded to capacity. According to records kept at the hospital during the spring of 1939, beds were even set up in the corridors.
In 1940, the digging of a basement commenced. A year later, the final east wing was added, raising the capacity to 41 adults and children’s beds and 8 bassinets. Also provided were residence facilities for the staff. In spite of expansion and improvements to the hospital, the need for facilities always seemed to outstrip growth. In 1949, the provincial Inspector of Hospitals surveyed Providence Hospital and reported conditions to be overcrowded and unsafe.
In 1959 a meeting was held with the Provincial Minister of Health and Welfare, Honorable Dr. J.D. Ross, and this was quickly followed by formal approval to build. Plans were presented and revised and in August 1961 tenders for the project were opened. The new Providence Hospital opened in December 1962 with 65 beds, and is still caring for the sick, although in 1969 it changed ownership and is now operated by the High Prairie Municipal General Hospital Region.