Naturally, trapping was the means of livelihood for the majority, and trappers who have become progressive farmers, still yearn over the prices.
A telegraph line came in, in 1915. In 1919 Fort St. John had another source of excitement — gold was found in the river. Dredging outfits were sent in, but the silt was too fine to be handled and the gold was not in sufficient quantities to make it profitable.
Farming at first meant a garden and a patch of green feed. Today there are several places with three hundred to four hundred acres in crop.
The first school was in Mr. Holland’s house, in 1919. Today there are ten schools in the district.
The Anglican Church started a hospital in 1923 but there were insufficient people to maintain it. However, today we have a Red Cross Hospital and nurse, a doctor, a dentist and the new Catholic Hospital, which is fully modern and should be ready before spring.
Although there have been settlers the last sixteen years, it is only three years since the real trek started. Today St. John District has over three thousand inhabitants.