In the winter of 1892-93 he sent wheat out to the Dominion Department of Agriculture at Ottawa. This wheat was placed in the Dominion exhibit at the World’s Fair at Chicago and won first prize. The Dominion Government holds a medal for his award. The wheat was hauled to Grouard by oxen and from there went to Edmonton by dog team.
One of Rev. Mr. Brick’s sons, T.A. Brick, took up farming near the Mission farm and was the first farmer in Peace River to raise wheat commercially. He was also the first M.L.A. of the Peace River provincial constituency when the Province of Alberta was formed in 1905.
“Dad” (Mr.T.) Griffin was the first settler on the plateau north of the Peace River. The settlement of Griffin Creek was named after him. Mrs. B. Eaton was the first woman settler to take up a homestead in the Peace River district, locating close to “Dad” Griffin at Griffin Creek. She might, therefore, be called the mother of Peace River. Before this time, at Shaftesbury Settlement in the valley, there was T.A. Brick, W.H. Carson, the St. Germains and a few natives settlers. There were also some ex-Hudson’s Bay Company employees including the McKenzies, McCorristers and Knotts. Mr. Carson owned the farm now operated by J.B. Early — later a noted market gardener — and operated a flourmill there.
The first shipment of wheat from Peace River was in the fall of 1906 by T.A. Brick. The shipment consisted of 1, 000 bushels of Red Fife variety sold to the Hudson’s Bay Co. at Fort Vermilion. It was to be mixed with La Doge wheat, raised at the Fort for milling purposes. The price received for his wheat was $1.75 per bushel.
On September 19, 1911 the first agricultural show was held under the auspices of the Board of Trade in the George log-house on the fair grounds. The prize list totaled $19.40.