10-026: The South Dawson School
The first South Dawson School was built by the community from logs. It was located on the SE 1/4-11-76- 6, belonging to Roy Crum, and opened up sometime in 1921-22. Mr. Wesley Sutherland started school in a log building the Rev. Jim Henderson had built for a church. It was situated on the NW corner of the George Hart homestead. There were 7 pupils registered on the first year report of 1921-22 term — 2 boys and 5 girls. Some girls whose last names were Ravelli, Torio and Barber were first to start school. Annie Newby and Fred Newby were also attending sometime in that first year.
On April 20th, 1930, this log school burnt down. Teacher and class were moved into the log house on the Kinsella [?] place which was west from the school-grounds, just across the road creek. A new school was built from lumber on the exact same spot and school resumed on Sept. 27th, 1930.
After serving as a schoolhouse for many years it was closed down. It was moved from the school site to John Anderson’s quarter of land about 5 1/2 miles west of Dawson Creek and is now a residential-house.