The first soil cultivated was a garden put in by the first settlers, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Murphy in 1919. They grew potatoes, carrots and turnips. Now we grow most vegetables, but there are still only a few in the district that can grow tomatoes and corn because of the early fall frosts which sometimes occur.
The first cattle were brought from the Dawson Creek area to a meadow on the edge of this district by Mr. Liveborn. He used this meadow just in summer — this was in 1918.
The first permanent cattle were brought into the district in 1920. They were brought here by a group of ex-service men that settled in this part of the country in 1919.
The first field crops were green feed (oats). The first threshing machine into this district was in about 1925. Mr. J. Stubley bought it.
The first agricultural Fair was a local fair in the early 1930’s, but the Kiskatinaw Fall Fair was started soon after this, sponsored by a group of Institutes — Arras, Willow Valley, Bon Accord, Groundbirch and Sunset Prairie. This went on for 16 years. It did not running during the war, but went on until 1956 when it was agreed to postpone it for a year to enable members to attend the Dawson Creek Fall Fair, which had recently started. During the 30’s people here used to ship cream — it had to be taken by team and wagon to a creamery near Pouce Coupe. The return trip took about 3 days, the driver bringing back groceries and supplies and sometimes mail. Before there was a Post Office at Sunset Prairie the mail was brought from Dawson Creek to Sunset Prairie, 30 miles by team and wagon or sleighs. The driver gave a wonderful, efficient service — always coming through no matter what the roads were like.
The settlers built a church (Anglican) in Sunset Prairie in 1927.