|Mike O’Rourke||Bert Haugen||Gus Erikson||John Carlson|
|Arthur Simpson||? Strous ?||? Norburg ?||Bill Flett|
|Stanley Landry||Lucien Grossinger||D. McKinnan||Carl Carlson|
|Jim McDonald||H. Carlon ?||? McCormick||Ed Harding|
|John Harding||Lon Harding||Jack Bruce||B. Coutts|
|WW Ross||F. Seymour||T. Loonam||J Prudham|
|? Massey||R. Dunsmuir||? Hedberg|
Land was worked with horses and a walking plow. John Carlson broke land with a team of oxen and a saddle horse with which he did custom breaking. The taxes were about $6 a quarter section after the land was proved up.
The shorter route into the district was the Edson Trial which settlers used in the winter months but were unable to use in the summer because of the muskegs on it. In the summer the Grouard Trail was used — this took the settlers across the Dunvegan crossing on the Peace River. All the supplies were hauled in from Edmonton.
There were no Doctors or Nurses so “Aunt Kate” or Mrs. Edwards helped anyone who was ill. She was also Doctor for many sick animals in the district for many years.
Stan Landry built coffins and his wife Mrs. Landry was undertaker until the mid-1920’s. There was no graveyard then so the deceased was buried in the spot where his family decided.
The first church for the Landry peoples was the Catholic Church at Pouce Coupe. The first marriage in the district was Babs Sheppard to Howard Atkinson.
The first grain grown by the settlers was wheat and the first grass was timothy. Threshing was done with a flail until 1914 when Tremblay from Pouce Coupe came with a horse-powered separator with hand feed and straw conveyor. In 1915 and 1916 the grain was taken by horses and wagons or sleigh to Spirit River. The only crossing of the Pouce River was at the Tremblay Crossing until 1917 when the Riley Crossing was made thus making it some shorter.
Water was hard to get so some settlers dug big shallow wells which caught some of the spring run-off and water from summer rains. This water was used for drinking and washing purposes. Those closer to the river as made a wooden yoke which carried two big pails and in this manner they hauled water by hand up to their homes.
John Harding and Stanley Landry were the only men with children of school age so in 1917 a school was built. A grant of $150 was given and the remainder was put up by Landry and paid back to him by benefits from dances. Thus the school and the district was named Landry. Peter Pitts was the carpenter with some local help donated. The first children to attend the school were Odie, Nora, Dora, and Ilor Harding; Waldo, Lillian and Stanley Landry and Mary and Emil Leduc who boarded at Landry’s to make enough to open the school. Most of the children rode horses or in winter they came in a toboggan, but the Harding children drove a buggy pulled by a burro.
The gardens consisted of root crops such as carrots, beets, potatoes, and turnips although one bachelor ventured on celery and succeeded.
The first land purchased (that is it was not homesteaded) in the Landry district was bought by Ernest Veiner, he also brought to the district with him a large herd of horses.
The Landry Women’s Institute is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary this year, having been formed in 1937.