NEIL GETHING — came down Parsnip and Peace in 1906 with Aylard and Johnson, located the coalfield near Hudson’s Hope. Sons King and Larry and daughter Vesta are residents of Hudson’s Hope.
HARRY FARRELL — located at Red River (Farrell Creek) in 1910. Joe Zelinka later took over this land.
REGINALD SHAW — arrived in 1912 from England. Trapped and eventually became news correspondent. Still a fixture at Hudson’s Hope. Last trip out of Hudson’s Hope was in 1914 — to Fort St. John. He is our famous “Uncle Dudley”.
FRED MONTIETH — arrived about 1912. Postmaster here for years. Died in 1948.
GUY ROBINSON — located at Hudson’s Hope about 1913. Trapped the Peace River, freighted with horses. Tremendous man with a bottle of hooch. Still around at 86.
CHARLIE PAQUETTE — came in before 1912 but settled at Moberly Lake. Raised horses. Owned the land that present site of Hudson’s Hope is built on. He was associated for many years with Harry Garbitt at Moberly.
STANLEY WALLACE — and Frank Brown arrived from USA in 1913. Stanley still traps his Ottertail River line and refuses even to come to Hudson’s Hope except once a year for a grubstake and haircut. Famous for tea drinking.
JACK THOMAS — settled about 1913. Trapped, farmed and ran big game parties.
THE CADENHEADS — Douglas, Howard and their mother moved in about 1912. Located at Halfway River.
ARTHUR BRODIE — a former bank manager at Grande Prairie, homesteaded in Hudson’s Hope about 1913. Enlisted in first World War and never returned to Hudson’s Hope.
DOCTOR GREENE — a dentist located in Hudson’s Hope about 1912. Trapped and farmed near the Gates. Sleight of hand performer. Had a patent on the first Wright Bros. airplane and received a royalty on it. Died at Peace River in 1951 or 1952.
JOE GILMETTE — French homesteader, took land across river, about 1913. Cleared land and worked only in Stanfield underwear and bare feet.
WILLIAM (BILL) KEILEY — located at Lynx Creek about 1912 or ‘13. Trapped, farmed and a successful photographer. Noted for wearing knee breeches summer and winter. Typical Irishman — argumentative and a great hand with a bottle.
HENRY STEGE — and Jack Weissner arrived about 1914. Moved to location near mouth of Ingenika and traded there. Stege returned to Hudson’s Hope about 1923 and built Western Hotel in 1931. Henry used to hear train whistles every so often and eventually went a little rocky. He was taken out to Vancouver where he died. He was well beloved by the Hudson’s Hope kids for his kindly ways.
RALPH OSBORNE — famous telegraph operator in the days when Hudson’s Hope boasted a telegraph office, arrived about 1914. He was followed by Fred Gayler, equally famous brass pounder who kept the lines humming from 1919 – 1934, when the office was closed.
JAMES BEATTIE — legendary homesteader of 12 mile and 20 mile arrived in the country from Prince George in 1913 or ‘14. An old Grand Trunker, Jim hewed out the most successful ranch on the upper river. The present Beattie log house in Hudson’s Hope was built in 1918 and is still in good shape. He was famous for his peg leg and tall stories. He cut the first wagon road around the present portage, from Hudson’s Hope to 20 mile. Died at Hudson’s Hope in 1949.
FRED CHAPMAN — first arrived in Hudson’s Hope in 1910 on the HBCo stern wheeler “Peace River” under Capt. Gullivan and chief engineer John Sutherland. Fred did some survey work out in 1914 and did a four-year stint in France. He was glad to return to Hudson’s Hope in 1919 and has since then homesteaded and trapped the upper waters, but retired to Hudson’s Hope a number of years ago. Fred is an old Royal Navy tar, having gone through the Boxer Rebellion. He is a famous elbow-bender — specializes in Lemon Hart rum.
ED FORFAR — moved to Hudson’s Hope in 1917 from his Halfway River farm. He became the first B.C. Provincial policeman to live at Hudson’s Hope.
DONALD (DAN) MACDONALD — homesteaded about 1913 at Red River (Farrell Creek) and trapped Brodie Creek. He served overseas and now is a commissioner at the parliament buildings in Victoria.
Other old-timers at Hudson’s Hope and surrounding district include: Charlie Jones, of goat fame; Jack Adams; Jack Pennington; Bill Ennis, who has since died; Shorty Webber, who built the first restaurant in Hudson’s Hope in 1920.
Vic Peck; Jimmy Ruxton; Joe Turner, who got killed by a bull; Harry Barr; Robert Beattie, Jim’s brother; George Clark; Bill Byron, Lorne Eddington; Jim Ross; Jack Follow; Gus Krossa; Mel Kyllo; Donald MacDougall; Bob Clarke.