Miss J. McEwan, the first nurse there, looked after patients and also did the complete housework most of the time. Local carpenters donated much of the furniture.
Peace River’s Health unit was formed in 1954. Peace River Municipal Hospital came into being in 1930, with the formation of a municipal Hospital Board.
First hospital in Hythe was in Ted Miller’s home in 1932. It was used mainly for births but minor treatment and repairs were made to whoever came in. The Hythe District Nursing Association was formed in 1938, with Jane Doherty as head-nurse. The present hospital in Hythe was opened in 1948.