W. J. Streeper and family began this community in the spring of 1919. Mr. Streeper and his oldest son Barney came in the summer of 1918 to look for land. They lived in Mickey Shubert’s log cabin that winter and sent for his two boys, Woods and Donald. They came in April 1919, coming via Spirit River by rail and up the Peace River on the [steamship] “Pine Pass”. Mr. Streeper then made arrangements to have his settlers’ effects brought in on the paddlewheeler, “D. A. Thomas”.
Land was ploughed for a patch of potatoes and a garden. That summer they built a large log cabin and cleared more land, with the idea of selling the wood to the “D. A. Thomas” and other riverboats. They were able to sell the wood and also the hay they cut was sold to Mr. Crum at Rolla Landing.
The closest neighbors for several years were the Crums. A few years later Mr. & Mrs. J. Starnes settled some five miles down the river. The nearest Doctor in those years was Dr. R. J. Elvin, living in North Rolla. He attended Mrs. Streeper when their daughter was born in 1920. The girl was named Margaret Elvin Streeper after the good Doctor.
In 1928, Hugh Fraser, John Godsman and Fred Yearly came into the district and shortly after Steve Backus and family and the Jesse Johns family moved in. It was not till 1930 that the land was surveyed and the settlers could file on their land. By 1932 the population had increased to where a post office was necessary. Mr. Lorne Mitchell opened the post office in his home being the first postmaster and Chauncey Berge being the mail carrier. Chauncey Berge used Streeper’s barge to go back and forth across the river. In later years Chauncey Berge built his own barge and this helped many settlers along with the Streeper’s barge. Until the ferry was put in at Clayhurst Landing, it was the only means of getting heavier equipment across the Peace River in the summer.
In 1928 the first threshing machine was put into service. In 1929 a sawmill went into operation, Jesse Johnson and Woods Streeper began this. During the thirties, a church and school were built. Prior to that time the children attended the Clayhurst School.
The first birth in the district was that of Margaret Streeper, and the first wedding was that of Barney Streeper to Nan Forbes. The first death was that of Charlie Swearigen, Mrs. Streeper’s father.
This community is still a very active community today.