Then in 1923 the last school building was built here. It still stands but is used to store grain. Miss Buchanan was the first teacher in this new school. She taught there until 1926.
1915 – 1916 – Miss Annie Ligertwood
1917 – 1918 – Mr. D. A. Clarke
1919 – 1920 – Miss M. Buchanan
1923 – 1924 – Miss M. Buchanan
1925 – 1926 – Miss M. Buchanan
1927 – 1928 – Miss E. MacKenzie
1928 – 1929 – Miss E. MacKenzie
1930 – 1931 – Miss K. H. Murray
1931 – 1932 – Miss C. E. Ferguson
1932 – 1933 – Miss G. E. Hoffman
1933 – 1934 – Miss C. E. Ferguson
1934 – 1936 – Miss E. L. Windrem
1936 – 1937 – Burt M. Cooper
1937 – 1938 – Alex S. Patterson
1938 – 1939 – Miss M. C. Gould
1939 – 1940 – Mrs. C. Patterson
1941 – 1946 – Mrs. F. Gibson
Saskatoon Creek School
Miss Annie Ligertwood, a Scottish girl educated in Scotland and England, was assigned as first teacher in the Saskatoon Creek School. School was first held in Slim Ford’s shack. The first trustees were A. W. Harper, Addie McKinnon and Shepherd.
For the 1915-16 term there were twelve pupils registered — 7 boys and 5 girls. They were Burt Harper, Earl Harper, Fred Addie, Annie McKinnon, Tom McKinnon, a Newby girl, Caroline Walton, Frances Webb, Josephine Webb, and Buddy Webb. Jack and Joe McKinnon may have started also. If not two other boys would have attended.
Soon afterwards, a 14-ft by 20-ft log school was built by the community near the creek and the Newby homestead. The Pete McKinnons were living on this land and Mr. Newby and daughter with them, which is known as the Murray Harper farm. The Newbys and McKinnons are related. Miss Ligertwood taught for two years at the Saskatoon Creek School and boarded at the home of the Pete McKinnons. Then she taught in a school near Edmonton. In 1918 Miss Ligertwood married John McKenzie, and came back with him to his homestead, which is right across from the Kilkerran Hall. They lived here for a few years then moved to Edmonds, Washington. They both are deceased.
For the 1917-18 term, Miss Dorothy Oliver (Clarke) taught in this school. She slept in the school on a cot behind a good-sized homemade cupboard and boarded at the Pete McKinnons. Miss Oliver got the children to take part in a Christmas concert which was held at Cadona’s as they had the only piano in the district. It became the first Christmas concert held there and was much enjoyed by the packed audience.
For the 1918-19 term the teacher was Miss Frances Dudley (Mrs. Gibson). She was the last teacher to teach in this little school where she had twenty pupils in attendance.
A new large Saskatoon Creek School — commonly called “the Kilkerran School” — was built from logs by the community on the Wes O. Harper’s Soldier Grant quarter (NE 1/4 of 9-79-15). In 1919-20 this new school opened up and Miss Margaret Buchanan (Mrs. Hans Larsen) was the first teacher. There were thirteen pupils registered for the year — 5 boys and 8 girls. Some other teachers who taught in this school were Mrs. Jean Gething, Miss Edna McKenzie (Tibbetts), Miss Grace Hoffman (Blackstock), and Miss Windrem. Mrs. Frances Gibson was the last teacher to teach in this school where she taught for eight years. In 1948, the school was closed. About 1949 or 50, Howard McKellar moved it just around the corner from its school site and used it for a school bus garage. Howard bused the school children of the district into the Dawson Creek schools and then back home again. The original Saskatoon Creek School or Kilkerran School is still there where it is now used for a granary.